Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Pop Culture Weekend

Was in Las Vegas last weekend for the Jerry Seinfield show at Ceasar's Palace. What a great show it was, he is truly the best in comedic timing, I have ever seen.

But what struck me as unusual is how truly branded everything is in Las Vegas and this from the ultimate ad brand slut. From the moment you land, all foods in the crappy United terminal, to the magazine choices (what started the whole pop culture thing), was this woman asitting next to me, apologizing for reading  People and Us Weekly. She said the only time she ever reads this "crap" is when she is coming to Vegas, she feels like shoe should.  Those magazines so define our culture at the moment.

Starbucks, Cinnabon, Burger King, the hotels and their intense branding efforts, and the stores in the Forum and the Mall are so over the top in the over the top city in America.

Have to put in a word for the dinner choice though--Bouchon, it is such a favorite of mine, in the Venetian, had some of my favorite pinot Kosta Browne (2005). But alas, that was the step out of the norm for me in the pop culture weekend.

I drank some Fetzer Chardonnay, Jordan Cab, so proletariat in my mind! But alas, it so fits!
And then had the ultimate flight home on the definition of pop--Virgin America. But go to tell, you ten times better than United. what a great airline, might be getting the nod. I talked to the flight attendant and he told me the wines they usually serve were small producers in California.

Well will be sending several updates yo you in the next couple of days. Even my reading that weekend was pop: the Bourne series new book,  Bourne Sanction!  Not even any business reading, 

No comments: